A two-year, $20,000 grant opportunity, made possible by Verizon, will support the implementation of two PLTW Gateway units – App Creators and Computer Science for Innovators and Makers – at eligible middle schools for the 2018-19 school year.
Successful completion of these units helps students easily transition into PLTW high school-level computer science courses. In addition, the units serve as the middle school portion of PLTW’s complete K-12 computer science pathway.
These grants, disbursed to each school over a two-year period, will assist in offsetting startup costs associated with implementing the units.
Any middle school in the United States with a 70 percent or higher free and reduced lunch-eligible student population is encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
Grant funds may be used to help offset the following implementation expenses:
- PLTW Gateway program Participation Fees
- Core Training and related expenses
- Designated equipment costs including tablets, computers, wireless connectivity, and accessories
- Application window: Oct. 16-Dec. 15, 2017
- Award notifications: February 2018