Tracing its origins to a rural schoolhouse called Union Institute in 1838, Duke University has evolved into one of the world’s leading institutions for education, research, and medical care. In 1859, Union Institute changed its name to Trinity College and affiliated with the Methodist Church. With financial assistance from Washington Duke and a donation of land by Julian S. Carr, Trinity College moved in 1892 to Durham, North Carolina, where in 1924 it became known as Duke University. It was through James B. Duke’s indenture creating the family philanthropic foundation, The Duke Endowment, as a memorial to Washington Duke, that Duke University has grown to become one of the nation’s leading institutions in a variety of fields including engineering.
The Edmund T. Pratt School of Engineering traces its origins back to 1851 when the catalog for the Normal College advertised a Classical course, which included surveying, architecture and engineering. Today, Pratt’s faculty of 165 offers Biomedical, Civil and Environmental, Electrical and Computer, and Mechanical Engineering, to over 1,000 undergraduate and 350 graduate students.
Duke University became a PLTW Affiliate in 2004.