Introduction - Purchasing Manual
The PLTW curriculum is provided without charge to schools within the PLTW Network; however, there are required equipment, computer hardware, and software expenses. The PLTW Purchasing Manual is available to help schools order the items required to run a PLTW program.
See Purchasing Manual Terminology and Abbreviations for an explanation of our terminology and abbreviations.
Given the breadth of courses and equipment and the varying numbers of students and number of class sections, ordering materials for a PLTW classroom can be complex. To assist schools with the ordering process, PLTW has created the Purchasing Manual which is comprised of Program Inventory and Supplier Workbooks for BMS, GTT and PTE. This manual will help schools with ordering equipment, materials and software for PLTW courses.
Steps to Ordering:
1) Read the Instructions & watch the Purchasing Manual Tutorial
2) Determine the following:
a. PLTW courses/units being implemented.
b. Number of sections offered per course/unit.
c. Maximum number of students per section.
d. Equipment platform being used (VEX or FT)
**FT equipment is available exclusively to schools that have previously purchased FT equipment for POE, DE, CIM, or the middle school GTT program. All other schools must purchase VEX equipment. Current PLTW schools may continue using FT equipment for their current courses indefinitely; however, FT equipment will no longer be available for purchase through PLTW after this school year (2013-14 school year).**
3) Download the appropriate Program Inventory Workbook
a. There is (1) Program Inventory Workbook for each PLTW program: High School BMS, Middle School GTT and High School PTE which include required items seperated by course/unit.
4) Using the Program Inventory Workbook, determine which items you already have on hand and will not need to purchase.
5) Download the appropriate Supplier Workbook
a. There is (1) supplier workbook for each PLTW program: High School BMS, Middle School GTT, and High School PTE.
6) Order Equipment and Supplies (please click here for ordering instructions for items ordered through PLTW).
7) Order/Download Software (please see the Software License Information Page)
**Software needed for the 2012-13 school year must still be purchased via normal pushasing methods (please see step 6). Required software for the 2013-14 school year will be covered under the PLTW Participation Fee structure and does not require a purchase order/credit card payment. However, please note that optional software MUST be purchased through normal purchasing methods**
The following reminders are a summary of our instructions; however, we strongly recommend you read the full document:
• Allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery, unless otherwise noted.
• Please submit separate purchase orders for each school.
• In the Program Inventory Workbook, items labeled “PLTW” in the Supplier column (“Splr”) are ordered directly through PLTW. All other items require separate purchase orders through the listed supplier. For your convenience, there are templates in the supplier workbooks to assist with these orders.
• If “Any Local Supplier” is listed in the “Splr” column, schools can purchase these items from the supplier of their choice.
• Pay close attention to order times in the BMS workbook, and for BE (in the PTE workbook). Some items are perishable and/or require culture growth.
• Optional equipment is just that – optional.
The instructions, located below, will guide you through the Program Inventory and Supplier Workbooks to help determine the items you will need to order for your PLTW course(s)/unit(s).
|Purchasing Manual Instructions|
2013-14 Course Specific Updates
For all courses, every year, the list of required items is subject to change due to product availability, supplier updates, curriculum updates etc.; therefore, it is important to review the most current version of the Purchasing Manual.
The Excel files below contain all required items for your PLTW courses/units.
|Program/Resources||Program Inventory Workbook||Supplier Workbook|
|Elementary (Launch)||Launch Workbook|
|High School Biomedical Sciences (BMS) ||BMS Workbook ||BMS Supplier|
|Middle School Gateway To Technology (GTT) ||GTT Workbook||GTT Supplier|
|High School Pathway To Engineering (PTE) ||PTE Workbook||PTE Supplier|
|PLTW VEX Kit Parts List ||AE VEX Kit, DE VEX Kit, |
POE VEX Kit, GTT VEX Kit
|fischertechnik® parts/upgrade information||fischertechnik® Workbook|
As resources are made available to assist schools in the purchasing process, they will be posted here. Please contact us with any thoughts, concerns or questions by email at [email protected].
|How To Place an Order ||PDF |
|Purchasing Manual Terminology and Abbreviations|
|Software Reference Sheet ||Table |
|Software License Information Page||Webpage|
|Technical Support |
Note: IT representatives may log into the Virtual Academy as a guest to access this resource.
|Text and Resources||PDF |
|Sole Source Letter|